Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Inauguration!

After many months of intending to start a blog around the field of work that I have found myself in, here it actually is.

This is coming at a time when I am about to start on my maternity leave, and I am hoping to have some time to write ( Hysterical laughter).

I think this will be fairly unstructured, but it will just be a place to record and share some thoughts on the field of Marketing.

Yes, as it says, there are times when I feel that 'it's a dirty job', but I've come to realize that it really depends on what particular product you're actually doing the marketing for. As in, does it have anything in it which actually makes it worthy of the marketing effort that goes into it? This is one thing that I've found makes a real difference to the level of job satisfaction that I personally get out of this field.

There are times when I think, like a lot of people who view the field from outside, that marketing is rather fluffy, and overrated, and sometimes even worse - cheating consumers. But that's not the whole of marketing, and is perhaps a bit of an extreme view.

Either way, I know that Marketing is not what I dreamt about spending my career on - which ten year old thinks like that anyway? Well, maybe they do nowadays, but not in the 80's and 90's when I grew up. No sir, that time it was all about becoming a Doctor/Lawyer/Goverment Job/Yada/Yada.

Anyway, now I'm at a stage wherein I've spent around 8 years in Marketing. That seems like a pretty long time to me, considering I always thought 'This isn't for me, and I'm definitely quitting next year'.

More recently, however, I started enjoying my job a lot more, having moved into the world of marketing for Internet brands from the world of marketing for FMCG brands. And while I'm still not convinced this is my life's calling, I think it's quite interesting and having spent a number of years doing this, I seem to be able to do a decent job of it ( well, after 8 years, you better be doing a decent job of it!) so for now, this is it.

Therefore, this place is just going to be about sharing thoughts and resources and hopefully getting in touch with other people from the field for general discussion. I may lapse into the office culture space at times. Who knows?

Who knows anything in marketing anyway! Fluffy bloody field...However, like I said -

'It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it...' ( apparently!)

3 comments:

Indian Marketer said...

It's a coincidence that I discovered this, because I've recently started my own Marketing blog at http://indianmarketer.wordpress.com/. I put up the first post, then haven't got enough time off my day job and personal life to put up another.

But Marketing is something I love, and enjoy every day, and want to learn more of. Maybe we can learn from each other?

anirmukerji said...

Great of you to start another blog and y not. I used to buy oil for dalda and unfortunately there was no blogging then else I am sure I would have matched you with an oil buying blog

S said...

Yeehaw! :)